Network Security Toolkit (NST 18)
Welcome to the Network Security Toolkit (NST).
This bootable ISO live CD/DVD
(NST Live) is based on
toolkit was designed to provide easy access to best-of-breed Open
Source Network Security Applications and should run on most x86/x86_64
The main intent of developing this toolkit was to provide the
network security administrator with a comprehensive set of Open Source
Network Security Tools. The majority of tools published in the
Top 125 Security Tools
are available in the toolkit.
An advanced Web User Interface (WUI) is provided
for system/network administration, navigation, automation, geolocation and
configuration of many network and security applications
found within the NST distribution.
In the virtual world, NST can be used as a network
security analysis, validation and monitoring tool on enterprise
virtual servers hosting virtual machines.
- We are pleased to announce the latest
NST release: "NST 18 SVN:4509". This release is based on
Fedora 18 using Linux Kernel:
"3.8.6-203.fc18". This is the most robust and
stable release of NST to date. Significant effort
has been devoted to integrate
service control support with
all network services applications thus providing enhanced
management and flexibility when using the NST WUI.
Here are some of the highlights for this release:
- Created a more friendly and intuitive user experience when booting NST Live and
performing a Hard Disk installation.
- Added a new NST script: "nstipconf"
(NST Pro users: "nstnetcfg")
which provides management to easily setup IPv4 Address and stealth network configurations in
an NST system equipped with multiple network interface adapters for performing
network surveillance tasks. See
HowTo Setup A Server With Multiple Network Interface Adapters Using: "nstnetcfg"
for additional information.
- Many new NST WUI enhancements and refinements including:
- Many new NST Network Interface Bandwidth Monitor features including:
- Added a Query Update Rate Monitor.
- Significantly increased the query update rate performance.
- Added the ability to create two Custom Bandwith Monitors. This will allow one to
simultaneously display network bandwidth rate graphs from two different network interfaces. This can
be quite useful for displaying bandwidth network traffic at full line rates
when using a non-aggregational network TAP
(See the example network diagram below.).
- Each Bandwidth Monitor can now have its appearance customized using a
NST Options Widget popup. One can adjust the background color
and the color of each monitor graph. The opacity levels can also be adjusted
on a per graph basis. These controls use to be global and applied to all monitors,
but now they can be applied individually.
- Now optionally collecting Bandwidth Monitor Data Rates when the monitor is hidden from view.
- Added clearer Threshold Pause State Change information in each status area.
- A Threshold Pause Session can now be automatically enabled upon page load.
- The Bandwidth Monitor Background Color can change when a
Threshold Pause Trigger Event occurs. This can be used in conjunction
with the "Auto ReArm" option for a Visual Alarm Display when a
Threshold Pause Trigger Event occurs.
- You can now download or export Bandwidth Monitor Data Rates
as a CSV formatted file which can then be used by most data analysis applications.
- A new Threshold Pause Trigger Event Action has been added:
The Bandwidth Monitor Data Rates can now be exported as a CSV
formatted file to the NST system when a Threshold Pause Trigger Event
occurs. A selection of Pause NICs and their associated data rate values
can be included in the file.
- As always, the networking and security applications included have
been updated to their latest version which can be found in the
- For more details related to the code changes for this release,
refer to the Change Log
EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE, PROVIDING
CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT
CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD. WHEN YOU
IMPORT THE PREBUILT NST ISO TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR
EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR EVEN SOURCE PATCHES TO THE AUTHOR OR
OTHER PEOPLE YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ANY
EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE LAWS WHICH APPLY TO YOU. THE AUTHORS OF NST ARE NOT
LIABLE FOR ANY VIOLATIONS YOU MAKE.